You can help the Waterloo Rotary Club fight hunger locally by joining us in a little friendly competition called EXTRAVA”CAN”ZA 2023. The goal is to stock the shelves of a local food pantry (of your choice) with non-perishable food items (canned or boxed food) in May. Our goal is to collect 4000 non-perishable items.
What’s involved? Organize a team to collect food items and use the items to build a structure at the Waterloo Community Center on May 26 and be displayed May 27 and 28. Rules and tips for building a structure are on the reverse side of this form. Most importantly, be creative and have fun!
How do You get involved? Register your team by completing the form below and returning it to us along with a $10 fee to be donated to Hunger Initiatives by May 15, 2023. Your structure must be built on Friday, May 26 from 10:00 am until 3:00 pm (other times on Friday can be arranged) and ready for display on May 27 and 28. Winners in several prize categories will be recognized, including a People’s Choice award!
On Sat. May 27 and Sunday, May 28 anyone may visit the displays to browse and/or to vote from 10:00 am until 6:00 pm on Sat. and 10:00 am until 3:00 pm on Sunday. Votes are 10 for $1.00.
Food must be picked up at 3:00 by the food pantry named. Uncollected donations will be donated to Cayuga Seneca Community Action Agency.
Rules & Guidelines
- Aluminum food cans or boxed food of all sizes may be used.
- Cans must be full, unopened, with labels intact and legible. FOOD MAY NOT BE BEYOND THE BEST BUY/ BEST USED BY/EXPIRATION DATE.
- Labels may not be covered or altered in any way.
- Do not place tape anywhere on the can’s label. During take down, the tape may pull the label from the can. A can with no label cannot be taken to the food pantry.
- Accessory props are allowed; however, props and boxes should not be a dominating feature of the entry.
- No glass containers, pet food, alcoholic beverages, open or exposed foods are allowed.
- Velcro and clear tape may be used as adhesives but remember to not cover the label.
- Teams are allowed to place colored paper discs on the tops of cans.
- No permanent adhesives, such as glues, may be used.
- Leveling or supporting materials are permitted.
- Please create a large “professional” sign telling the public and the judges who you are and about your structure. The sign should have any information pertinent to your structure that will help draw the judges’ and public’s eye to your display as described. This sign should also contain information on the number of items used, cost of your build and the name of the Hunger Initiative you have chosen to receive the food.
- Each team may dismantle their own on Sunday, May 29 at 3:00 p.m. If you do not, Waterloo Rotary will dismantle it. Props must be picked up at 3:00 p.m. on May 29. If Waterloo Rotary dismantles the structure, no props will be returned. Someone from the group you have chosen as the recipient should pick up the food on Sunday, May 29 from 3-5 pm. Food not picked up will be donated to Cayuga Seneca Community Action Agency.
- This year’s theme is “Waterloo Remembers”.
- Judges will be looking for displays for the following categories:
Judging will be based on design, overall conception, imagination, and creativity based on the rules. Entries will also be judged based on practicality of the foods used. What do we mean by practical? That means a build using more protein-rich foods and less Kool-Aid would do better than one made completely out of Doritos. Our goal here is to feed the hungry well; remember that when selecting building materials.
- All awards will be presented on Monday, June 6, 2022 at the Waterloo Rotary Club dinner meeting at Ciccino’s in Waterloo at 6:00 p.m.
- The People’s Choice winner will be determined by the EXTRAVA”CAN”ZA 2020 structure with the most votes from the community. Community voting will take place on Sat. May 28 and Sun. May 29 at the Community Center. To vote, community members will need to buy tickets (10 for $1) and place them in the container by the structure of their choice.
Still Have Questions?
- Please contact Ellen Hughes (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Coreen Lowry (email@example.com)
May 26-28, 2023
Memorial Day Observance
May 30, 2023